Sunday, September 9, 2012

My First Day (ish)

Hey everybody!! We haven't written on this properly for forever so I decided I would take this time to document what's going on with my first few days on Uni. (ha. uni.) Yesterday, my family and I drove down at 10 and moved myself into my room. My room. Is huge. I've got this decorated high ceiling like in an old movie, two big windows (which my desk faces out of), book selves, and wardrobes. I don't have a shower or a bathroom, but there's a secret private one that's just around the corner that I can use. My room mate is just really sweet. Her name is Becca and she's from England. (Boss accent). She didn't move in for forever yesterday so I was sure she was dead. I went out and bought her welcome cookies from the local market for when she arrived. Mostly I just kind of wandered about town. There are so many little bookshops in nooks and tiny allies it's amazing. Loads of coffee shops too. For a Skyline kid, I'm in as much of a city as I can handle. There are pretty much 3 streets in the whole town: South St, Market St, and North St. But I still manage to get lost. My hall, McIntosh is right in the middle of everything bacially. It's just around the corner from the Union (a club/bar/dance area), and from Tescos, and from most of the classes. The hall is pretty neat. We had a manditory meeting today and they were all really funny and nice. They distributed free condoms and their main message to us was "Be a jolly egg. Don't be a dick". Accually. And one of the wardens was like "Look. If you're gonna get pissed (drunk) just clean up after yourself. And don't go peeing in the street. Ladies, I know you think you'll never do it but it happens. And doing it behind a tree doesn't help. I can see your ass for miles." Haha... I've met some really nice people too -- not sure if any of the friendships will stick, but there's a lovely girl from California that reminds me of Sara. Last night...wait for it... yes. I went on a pub crawl. My first pub crawl ever. We were carded everywhere we went. I've never seen so many bouncers. But I used my drivers licence and got in. Everytime we were in a bar I kept on expecting to get kicked out. I got a gin and tonic in the first pub and then just took it easy for the other ones. The girls I hung out with were all really nice and funny. This morning (happy birthday me!!) I woke up at 6:30 and went for a run. On the beach. With the sunrise. Listening to lord of the rings music. I swear to god I almost cried. It's the same beach used in chariots of fire so I felt that I was doing the right thing. I got back, and realized that the door to the hall was closed...and locked... I mean, I had my keys so I tried to open the door several times and failed (turns out I was pulling when I should have been pushing...ugh embarassing... so I sat on the steps (at 7:30 in the morning, mind) and waited for someone to come out....when someone did I snaged the door and was going jollily on my way until I hit the next door... which required a swip from my metriculation card... which was in my room. I sprinted back out to catch the girl who had originally opened the door and played the dumb fresher. I got in eventually but it was an adventure :) When I got in, I took an awkwardly handled shower, then got dressed in my favorite sweater, then took another walk. I got coffee and read a book. Then I went on a walking tour and met more nice people. Not everyone is nice, though most people are. The people you have to look out for are the "Yahs" and the "LADS" Yahs are really posh rich people that wear tweed and seem to almost dominate st. a. It's creepy. Look up "Gap Yah" on youtube for an example. Lads are just really annoying yet still very intimidating jock-like bros. Like the guys that were leaning outside of their window yesterday night drunkenly yelling after me "FRESHAAA WUZZUP FRESHAAA" My room mate got me a card and a cupcake for my birthday which was so so sweet. I haven't really done much for my birthday. I said goodbye to my family, which was tough but rushed so I didn't cry or anything. But I just felt kind of emotionally drained. I joined the gym but it's like a 20 min walk out of town. Haha. Tonight there is Clan Warfare, which is a party where the different halls 'battle'. It includes drinking and facepaint. I'm going to try to get tickets to that. I also want to sign up for the Friday Bop too. Which includes cheesey 80s music. So there. I miss you guys. Let's make more posts like this so that we know what each other's doing. I want to knoww!!! Sophia

1 comment:

  1. GOD THAT SOUNDS AWEFUL THAT BEACH SOUNDS DISGUSTING AND I HATE SUNRISES. Actually it sounds amazing, im so happy that you're liking it so far! i misssss youuuuuuu and HAPPY BIRTHDAY OMG

    ReplyDelete