Sunday, October 10, 2010

Slow Down, You Crazy Child

As a person of moderate intelligence, it has of course come to my attention that sometimes all you really need to get through a mentally difficult time is follow a nice little list. I am very much a list person and I use them whenever possible. Is it partly a form of procrastination? Maybe. Well, yes. But mainly it lets you sit and really stare at the written word that will tell you what to do and when you have crossed off the last stupid little task that you have given yourself you will feel accomplished, free, whole...
Until you make the next one that is. :)
Here's my feel better list.
  1. Take a shower. Yes, it sounds cliche but it is indeed a necessary step to calm the fuck down. When I shower it's so... ugh, I can't believe I'm saying this -- cleansing. All of the dust and germs get washed down a drain and all of your worries seem to fall down there, too. Turn the nob as hot as you can take it and close your eyes and let it pound down on your face, hair, and neck. And just stand there. It numbs everything in you and all you can hear and think about is the rhythmic drumming of the water on your face. Clean everything. Start at the top and work yourself down. Getting the nails and every nook and cranny that you might have looked over before. This is not going to be a quick shower. Next best part is when you step out of the shower into the cold -- but instead of dashing to the towels, let the cold nip at your ankles and poke and prod at your back. Then take the towel wrap it around you. Operation shower is complete.
  2. Surround yourself with nice smells. This means lotion, hair product, candles. Hell, Frebreze the room if that's what rocks your boat. Try to stay away from really strong smells though -- no perfume this time. Just subtle reminders that you could be smelling a hell of a lot worse then you do now. Scent is a sense that we often take for granted. I mean, if I had to choose between touch and scent I would go touch without thinking -- but after you think you realize that smelling things often brings feelings out of you that are larger than that of taste or feel. Whenever I'm upset, I bury my face in my pillow -- not because of it's soft feel, but for the scent of comfort.
  3. Now for the nice touch. Next, surround yourself with comfortable clothes. This doesn't mean sweats, necessarily. I'm just as comfortable in jeans. If you feel freer in a long skirt, so be it. Just something that you feel you in. Your not there to impress anyone of keep up an appearance. This is just you. If you wanna go naked -- fine. Don't tell me and I won't judge.
  4. Music. Seeing a pattern here? All of your senses have to be content before you can start on this calming process. This is almost methodical and soothing it itself -- going through each sense and giving them what they want. So now it's hearing's turn. Turn on quiet music. Yes, heavy metal has it's purposes, and it can release tension, but this time go for nice and easy. Me being me, I go for my rain or ocean sound track. The fact that it makes you want to pee is complete crap. We live in Portland for christsake. If I needed to pee every time I heard rain I'd be in big trouble. Sorry -- Just put on some nice music and try to drown out the man made -- airplanes, cars etc. If you are lucky enough to be in a place where the birds are there for music, then they will work just fine. Music has a great way of creeping through your ears to your brain and working out the knots that are in there -- like a massage.
  5. Tea. I don't care if you are a coffee person. It. Doesn't. Matter. Tea is truly a magic thing. It is the bridger to all gaps and the soother to all tears. You can make it whatever tea you want. Herbal is preferable. But make it hot and in a nice mug that you can wrap your hands around. You're not allowed to say you don't like tea because there are too many frickin' flavors to choose from that you can't possibly not like everyone of them.
  6. Now relax. Here's the tricky part. Find something to do that will allow yourself to loose yourself. Movies aren't the only thing out there. Is it okay to settle down to a nice feel good movie in order to wind down? Yes, of course. But there are tuns of other things to do. Play around with them.
  • Read a good book - Escaping from this world into one of a book is sometimes the only way for me to relax. Reading a book cover to cover with hot tea in my hand is somehow so cheesy that it makes me feel so good.
  • Go through old family pictures - Another form of escape, but instead to your past. Looking at people in those black and white pictures kind of reasures you that all of the issues your going through are probably pretty similar to what they went through in their lives. And you are proof that they're life worked out pretty well.
  • Breathe deeply - Sometimes just concentrating on your breathing can calm you down. Count breaths and close your eyes. Hey -- it works.
  • Talk to or Hang out with friends - Sometimes just spilling your guts to someone is the only way to figure out what's going on in your head. As you speak you'll begin to understand as you go along. Being with friends is also a great way of getting away from all of that.
  • Take a long walk. - There is nothing more calming to me then taking a walk. It basically is the time to clear your head and get humbled by that oh so kind Nature. She will remind you that She's a lot more important than your troubles.
  • Write.
  • Simple chores. Sometimes doing something methodical and easy to achieve is the best way to relax.
  • Cry.
  • Sleep.
Wow. This turned out longer then I meant it to be. I was just trying to clear my head myself. And it worked. Thanks guys!

6 comments:

  1. I would like to add cry to the list =] and sleep

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect. these are exactly all the things i do. plus chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plus yelling and throwing things. It makes you tired and you cry and stuff, but then you feel better and calmed down. Unless something goes terribly wrong and you just go insane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha. scream into a pillow...it works. well sometimes. other times it just increases the hysteria and you just go insane ^^ hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...Guys you are missing the point of my relax list.

    ReplyDelete